Getting a SIM card and eSIM at Don Mueang Airport (DMK) for tourists is a quick and easy process with booths from providers like AIS, DTAC, and TrueMove H located throughout the airport, so you can stay connected during your stay in Thailand without hassle.
Don Mueang International Airport (DMK) along with Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) are two major airports of Thailand located in Bangkok.
As the smaller and older airport of Bangkok two airports, Don Mueang primarily supports the low-cost regional carriers, with Terminal 2 serving domestic flights and Terminal 1 serving international flights. If you travel to Thailand and land at Don Mueang Airport Bangkok, you may be anxious about what to expect after landing due to the airport being labelled as “low-cost” terminal.
One of the most common questions that many travelers to Thailand have is: how to buy a Thailand tourist (e)SIM card at Don Mueang Airport.
In this article, we will guide you steps on buying a prepaid (e)SIM card at Don Muang Airport (DMK) for travelers.
- Where to get sim cards at Don Mueang Airport (DMK)
- How can tourists register a sim card at DMK airport
- How much does a sim card for Thailand cost at DMK airport
- Where to exchange money (for buying sim cards and other purposes)
The process to buy sim cards at Don Mueang airport is fast and easy. Let’s check out!
- To use a prepaid sim card in Thailand, it’s necessary for your phone to be unlocked. This rule applies to both international sim cards and esim. Generally, phones bought from Asia, Europe, and Australia are unlocked, while those from the USA are often locked.
- Buying a prepaid physical sim card upon arrival at Don Mueang Airport DMK is the most convenient way to do so for your trip to Thailand.
- The packages offered by various mobile operators in Thailand are similar in terms of data volume and validity, but it’s recommended to choose the one with the highest data speed.
- For those looking for a good sim card option in Bangkok, the DTAC sim card is recommended due to its affordable price and good speed.
- If Bangkok is just one of the many stops on your trip, it’s advisable to consider an international travel sim card that allows you to use data in multiple countries.
- The sim card in Thailand will no longer expire. Even after a year, if you come back, they are still valid. When buying a sim card, you have to register the sim card. That means a copy of the passport will be deposited.
I. Where to buy a sim card at Don Mueang Airport after arrival?
Passengers and travelers who need to buy SIM cards or other services can find the stores of the three major operators at Don Mueang Airport. These stores are located at the bottom of Terminal 1 and in the transition between Terminal 1 and 2, and on the first floor of Terminal 2’s north side, near the connecting walkway to Terminal 1 Building.
Upon arrival at the airport, you will move from visa/immigration to collect your luggage and then pass through Customs. After passing through Customs, you will reach the ground floor.
On the ground floor of Don Mueang Airport, you will find two SIM card shops of DTAC and TrueMove H, where you can purchase tourist SIM cards for Thailand.
Here are some guidelines for purchasing SIM cards from the three major mobile operators in Thailand
1. Where to buy a DTAC tourist sim card at Don Mueang International Airport?
- Location: DTAC Booth at arrival floor, between Terminal 1 and 2.
- Branch 1: at International Arrival Hall between Exit No.3 and No.5
- Branch 2: International Arrivals Hall, opposite Exit No.6
- Opening hours: 7:00 – 10:00 pm, daily
2. Where to buy a AIS tourist sim card at DMK ariport?
The AIS shop at DMK airport provides customer service to AIS customers and services to new customers, including travelers who want to buy tourist sim cards for Thailand.
- Location: International Arrivals Hall 1, 1st floor, Exit No.2
- Opening hours: 24 hours, daily
3. Where to buy a tourist TrueMove H sim card at Don Mueang airport?
- Location: International Arrival Hall
- True Shop – Branch 1: International Arrivals Hall, at Exit 3
- True Shop – Branch 2: International Arrivals Hall, at Exit 4
- Opening hours: 24 hours, daily
Don’t want to wait until you arrive in Thailand to get your prepaid SIM card? Buy an eSIM online instead! Thailandesim.com has a better option for tourists to Thailand to access the Internet without waiting in line at the airport. Find out more about Thailand sim card and esim.
III. How much does a tourist sim card cost at Don Mueang International Airport?
It is well-known that sim cards in Thailand are more expensive at Don Mueang International Airport than in shops located outside the airport. Additionally, at DMK Airport, they sell tourist sim cards at rates specifically intended for tourists.
The cost of a tourist SIM card at Don Mueang International Airport in Bangkok, Thailand can vary depending on the carrier and package you choose.
Some of the available carriers at the airport are AIS, True Move, and DTAC, and they all offer various types of tourist SIM cards that come with different packages and prices.
The price range for a tourist SIM card at Don Mueang Airport was approximately 150-300 Baht (approximately 4.5-9 USD), depending on the carrier and package you choose.
However, please note that prices are subject to change and may vary based on current promotions, exchange rates, and other factors.
Pro Tip: It is always a good idea to check with the specific carrier for the most up-to-date pricing information.
IV. How to register a sim card in Thailand at Don Mueang Airport?
Everyone buying a prepaid sim card in Bangkok will have to show any form of photo ID, so bring your passport. Your new Thailand sim card will be registered on your passport number and name and a copy will be taken in the store.
If you want to avoid this then you can order an international sim card online or get a tourist eSIM for Thailand. No passport registration is needed for these sim cards.
V. Why buying Thailand eSIM for tourists online before arriving at DMK airport?
If you’re planning a trip to Thailand, it’s a good idea to buy an eSIM before arriving at the DMK airport. An eSIM is like a virtual SIM card that you can activate on your phone without having to physically insert a new SIM card.
Here are some advantages and disadvantages of using an eSIM in Thailand:
- No need to register personal information
- Purchase and activate the eSIM in advance
- Stay connected immediately after landing at the airport
- Keep your original SIM card in your phone while using the eSIM
- Easily activate the eSIM on your mobile device without visiting a physical store
- Requires a mobile device supported with eSIM
- If you lose or damage your phone or experience technical issues, you may not be able to use the eSIM, which could be problematic while traveling.
Where to buy a tourist eSIM to Thailand before arrival at DMK airport?
It’s recommended that you buy a tourist eSIM from a reputable eSIM provider such as Thailandesim.com, Gigago.com, Holafly, Airalo, etc. instead of directly from a local Thailand mobile operator.
This is because eSIM providers offer more convenience, cost savings, and diverse options.
- Convenience: You can buy and activate eSIMs online, which is more convenient than having to go to a physical store and register personal information.
- Cost effective: Travel eSIMs can also be more cost-effective, and eSIM providers offer a wider range of package options from different Thai mobile network operators, giving you more flexibility and varying prices.
- Numerous options: Some eSIM providers, like Thailandesim.com, offer data plans from both DTAC and AIS, giving you numerous options to choose from.
Which are best eSIM plans for travelers to Thailand?
Here are some popular esim data plans for tourists to Thailand:
V. Currency exchange – cash only
This part is for travelers who buy tourist sim cards for Thailand by cash. You can exchange money after passing through customs. However, many sim card stores in the baggage claim and before customs only accept cash, which can be inconvenient if you don’t have Thai Baht yet.
There are some places where you can exchange money at Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok, Thailand. Some of the options include:
- Currency exchange counters: there are several currency exchange counters at DMK airport, including at the arrival hall and departure hall. They offer competitive rates, but may charge comission fees.
- ATMs: be noted that ATMs in Bangkok may charge a 220 THB fee per transaction
- Independent money changers: located through the Don Mueang Airport, especially in the arrival hall, offers competitive rates, but may NOT charge commission fees.
Specific places are Super Rich, Siam Exchange, Vasu Exchange, and ATMs of various banks like Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, and Kasikorn Bank.
To pay by card, you must wait until you reach the arrival hall, where all mobile shops accept credit card payments.
VI. Free Wi-Fi
At Bangkok’s Don Mueang Airport, travelers can enjoy free Wi-Fi access for a duration of 2 hours.
To connect to the network, passengers simply need to select the “@AirportTrueFreeWiFi” network.
To extend the free WiFi access beyond the initial two-hour timeframe, travelers can re-register with fresh information every two hours. This allows them to continue to enjoy the convenience of the airport’s WiFi network throughout their time at the airport without incurring any additional charges.
VII. Extra tips when buying Thailand Sim cards at Don Mueang airport
- Compare the offers: There are several mobile network providers at the airport, and they offer different packages. Before buying a SIM card, make sure to compare the offers and choose the one that suits your needs the most.
- Check the validity period: Some SIM cards have a validity period, after which you have to top up to keep the number active. Make sure to check the validity period before buying the SIM card, and choose one that suits the length of your stay in Thailand.
- Verify the SIM card balance: After purchasing the SIM card, verify the balance by making a test call or sending a test message. This will ensure that the card is activated and you have the correct balance.
- Activate international roaming: If you plan to use the SIM card outside of Thailand, make sure to activate international roaming. This can be done by contacting the mobile network provider’s customer service.
- Keep the SIM card safe: Make sure to keep the SIM card safe, as losing it can mean losing your phone number and any remaining balance. Keep it in a safe place, such as your wallet or a secure pocket.
- Consider data packages: Thailand offers a lot of interesting sights and activities, and you might want to share your experiences on social media. Consider purchasing a data package to avoid incurring high data charges.
- Avoid buying SIM cards from unauthorized sellers: Some unauthorized sellers may offer SIM cards at a lower price, but they may not be reliable or provide good customer service. Stick to buying from authorized sellers to avoid any issues.
- Choose prepaid eSIM instead of prepaid physical SIM card: If your phone supports eSIM technology, opt for an eSIM and purchase it beforehand. This way, upon arrival at BKK airport, you’ll have instant internet connectivity without having to queue up.
► In case you land at other airports in Thailand, we also have sim card buying guides at airports in other Thai provinces.
VIII. FAQs about Getting a sim card at Don Mueang Airport
Is there free Wi-Fi at Don Mueang Airport?
Free WiFi is available at Bangkok Don Muang Airport to a maximum of 2 hours.
Can I buy a sim card at Don Mueang airport?
Yes, you can buy a SIM card at Don Mueang Airport. There are several mobile network operators’ kiosks and shops at the airport where you can purchase a SIM card. Some of the popular network operators in Thailand are AIS, TrueMove H, and dtac. They offer various prepaid SIM card packages that include data, voice calls, and text messages. You can compare the packages and prices before purchasing and choose the one that best suits your needs.